Manage journal entries
You can use the Journals page to create new journal entries and to manage your existing entries.
You can edit a journal as long as:
- The journal entry is unreconciled or uncleared.
- The journal entry was not migrated from a previous accounting system.
- You have full access permission to Accounting.
- The journal entry was not posted before the lockdown date.
If the journal entry you want to edit is dated before the year-end lockdown date, you can go to Settings, and then Fiscal Year & Accounting Method to change the date in the Year End Lockdown field. You can then edit the journal.
To edit a journal entry:
- Go to Adjustments, Journals, and then click the journal you want to edit.
- Click Edit in the section to the right.
- Review the details for the journal and then edit as needed.
- Click Save.
When you delete a journal entry, it is removed from the list on the Journals page and the ledger postings are deleted. However, not all journal entries can be deleted. For example, if the entry has one or more lines that have been:
- Bank reconciled.
- Tax return reconciled.
- Both bank and tax return reconciled.
Additionally, you cannot delete a journal entry if the journal date is before the year-end lock down date. If you need to delete this type of journal entry, you must change the year-end lock down date and in Accounting Dates and Financial settings.
To delete a journal entry
- Go to Adjustments, Journals, and then locate the journal you want to delete. If you know the reference for the journal, you can enter this in the search box. If you know the date, change the date range.
- Click Delete (to the left of the entry).
- Click Yes to confirm.
To reverse a journal entry
If you cannot delete a journal entry because you need to keep a record of it, you can reverse it. This removes the effect of the journal but keeps the details of the original entry and the reversal for your records.
- Go to Adjustments, Journals, and then click to open the journal you want to reverse.
- Click Reverse in the section to the right.
- If necessary, change the details of the original journal.
- Click Save.
If you are reversing the journal because the original was entered in error, the date and the lines of the journal should be the same as the original. However, you may want to change the reference to Reversal.
The original journal is reversed, and both journal entries appear on the journal list.
To copy a journal entry
If you created a journal and you need to post another with the same details, you can copy the original journal.
- Go to Adjustments, Journals, and then click the journal you want to copy.
- Click Copy in the section to the right.
- Review the details for the new journal and update them as needed.
- Click Save.
The new journal entry displays in the journal list.