Dealing with leavers
When an employee leaves your company, you must mark them as a leaver in Payroll.
To mark an employee as a leaver in Payroll, you need to enter their last working day in their details and then complete their final pay run. You no longer need to submit a P45 to Revenue.
If you pay your employees in arrears, to ensure they appear on your pay run for the final payment, you must enter the leave date after you process their payment. For example, if the employee is weekly paid and leaves on 21 November, but you need to pay them on 28 November. You need to complete the pay run as normal on 28 November, then enter the leave date.
Please remember to mark your employee as a leaver before running their final pay run unless you pay your employees in arrears, if you pay in arreas you need to enter the leave date after you process their payment.
- Go to Employees, then click the Delete button next to the relevant employee. This does not remove the employee but marks them as a leaver.
- In the Last working day box, enter the last date on which the employee actually worked for the business.
You may have a scenario where the last working day occurs in a previous pay run. You still record it in the last pay run in which you’re paying the employee.
- Click Save.
You’ve now marked the employee as a leaver. When you’re ready to do so, you can now process the employee’s final pay details and generate the submission to Revenue.
If you’ve marked an employee as a leaver in error, you can simply reactivate their existing employee record. Once reinstated, you can begin to pay them again.
If the employee has a status of Ceased employment, this means you’ve already sent off the information to Revenue notifying them of the employee leaving. You must contact the ROS helpdesk immediately and explain the situation.
If you need to include this employee on another pay run, you must contact us to reinstate the employee’s record.
To reactivate the employee’s record, complete the following steps:
- Click the Employees tab, then select the Include Employees who have left check box.
- Double-click the employee you want to reactivate on your payroll and click Edit.
- Employment Details remove the Finish date, then click Save.