Send your first invoice
Sales invoices are records to help you keep track of what your customers buy from you, how much they owe and when payment is due.
The invoices you create are saved in Accounting and can be emailed or printed and posted to your customers.
Create your sales invoice
- From Sales and select New Invoice. Enter customer details, the date the invoice was created and is due for payment.
- Make sure you add an invoice address, if the customer contact record doesn't have one.
- Add the details for what you're selling
- If you've set up product or service records, choose name of the item from the Product/Service box, then complete the details for quantity and unit price etc.
- If you just want to add the details to the invoice as you go, enter a description and fill in the details for the quantity and unit price etc.
This is how you categorise your sales. The ledger accounts determines how the value of the sale is recorded on your profit and loss report.
If you're using our default chart of accounts, you might want to choose 4000 Sales- Products or 4010 Sales - Services, depending on what the invoice is for.
If you want a more detailed breakdown of your sales, consider creating your own ledger accounts.
With details of your sales invoice successfully entered, you can now save, email or print the invoice. See the saving, emailing and printing your invoice section below.
Save, email and print your invoice
Once you've created your invoice, you need to make sure it's saved in Accounting, and that your customer gets a copy.
At the bottom of the invoice you have some options:
|Save||Saves and closes the invoice.|
Click the checkbox to save as a Draft or Pro-Forma invoice.
Draft and pro-forma invoices don’t update your accounts until you convert them.
|Save & Email||Amend the text as required then click Send.|
|Save & Print||Depending on your browser, the invoice opens in a new window or tab and you can print it from your browser menu.|
|Save & New||Saves and closes this invoice, then opens a new invoice.|
Once you've saved your invoice, it appears on the customer’s activity view.
Use the Quick Entries to quickly record sales invoices that you create either in a different system or by hand.
Add these for one or more customers at the same time. If you just need to enter your transaction values. Quick Entries could be the perfect way for you to process your sales invoices in Accounting.
Quick entries are great for speeding up processing but you can't use them for the following:
- Recording product information
- Printing invoices
- Recording foreign currency transactions
You can find out more about Quick Entries in our Sales quick entries article.
Customising sales invoices
You can use the Customise menu at the bottom of the New Sales Invoice page to jump to customisation settings. This saves you time when trying to customise invoices for your business. You can also preview it by selecting Preview document from the New Sales Invoice page.