Prioritise the order of your bank rules
Bank rules can help you quickly reconcile statement lines from your bank feed that you haven't created transactions for in Sage Accounting.
- As only one rule will be applied to a single transaction you need to prioritise the order of the rules to make sure they run in the right sequence.
If you've created more than one bank rule in Sage Accounting you need to carefully consider the order in which rules are run, as only one rule can be applied to a single transaction.
For example, you might have rule for all payments with a certain reference to be create for a specific supplier and then another rule for a direct debit to created for the same supplier.
We recommend that rules that are rigid, for example, matching on a specific amount should be set to the highest priority, with more general ones set to a lower priority.
Change the priority settings for your bank rules
- Go to Banking, then click the account you’ve set up bank feeds and rules for.
- From the drop-down list (next to the number of downloaded transactions), click Rules.
- Click a rule that you want to view or change the priority settings for.
- Scroll down to the Apply the rule in this order section.
- In the Priority drop-down list, select either Below or First.
- If you select First, the current rule is added to the top of the rule list and the second drop-down list is disabled.
- If you select Below, the second drop-down list becomes active, and the current rule will be added below the rule you choose in the second drop-down list.
- Click Save.
- Repeat steps 3 to 6 for each of your rules until you’re happy with the ordering.
The new ordering of your saved rules will be applied to transactions the next time they are downloaded from your bank, starting with the rules at the top of the list.
If you already have pending transactions within the bank feed, you must click the Apply rules to pending transactions link, so the new ordering of your saved rules can also apply to them.