We're looking at how we can make our What's New information (release notes) easier to use and understand. We're keen to hear from you whether you came here today looking for something in particular or stop by regularly. If you'd like to take part in an online session in a few weeks' time, we can show you what we've been working on and get your thoughts. Get involved.
Changes to how you access your subscription invoices
You will receive an invoice every month with the charges for your Sage subscription.
We'll either send your invoice by email to the business owner registered with your account or add your invoice to the Business Account area of Settings.
To learn more about accessing your subscription invoices see Manage your subscription and services.
Search with less information
Find the contact you're looking for with less information. To make life a little bit easier, enter a contact's address (or partial address), their main or mobile phone number, or just their primary name in the Search field on contact lists to find them quickly.
We've also updated the Search field on the Audit Trail report to search by transaction number so you can quickly track down the history of an entry. This comes in handy when you quickly need to find transactions that show on your VAT returns.
Easily improve your documents
To make document customisation easier, we've moved document settings to their own section on the Settings page. With this change, we've also renamed some groups to better explain the settings within.
These are the settings groups in the new section with their old and new names:
|Old name||New name|
|Logo & Document Template||Templates and Logos|
|Email Messages||Document Emails|
|Invoice Form Settings||Document Preferences|
Previously, these settings were located in the Invoice & Business Preferences section, which is renamed to Business Preferences.
Inactive bank accounts
You can now mark unused or closed bank accounts as inactive. This allows you to view accounts by status on the Banking page. Select the Active, Inactive, or All tab at the top right-hand corner of the page to change the view. Inactive accounts are also hidden from selection lists when creating transactions. This prevents the posting of new transactions to the inactive account.
For audit purposes, inactive accounts still show in reports and completed transactions.
CIS and reverse charge VAT
From March 1st, all contractors and subcontractors registered under the CIS scheme need to charge VAT using the reverse charge mechanism.
To take the stress away from remembering to do this on your CIS transactions, we've automatically updated all VAT registered contacts to use reverse charge VAT, so you can be sure that new invoices created after 1st March will have reverse charge VAT applied.
Show more rows in grids and lists
Get a clearer view of your transactions and display up to 100 rows by default on list pages (such as Sales Invoices) throughout Sage Accounting Start.
From Settings, choose Navigation and Data Grids, and then select 100 in the Tables of Data section.
Override this as needed by selecting a number in the footer of a list page.
Back button in Banking
Easily navigate back to the Banking page with the new Back to Banking button.
Shown in the top toolbar, this allows to get bank to your bank accounts.
Preview your invoices
Get a quick preview sales invoices before you send them
Select Print Preview and view the invoice in another tab in your browser.
Summary of changes for Brexit
Find out what actions you need to take before 1st January and the other changes made to Sage Accounting to support Brexit.
Legislation changes due to Brexit will affect the tax and transaction types you use in Sage Accounting, the following areas are affected:
Northern Ireland contacts
Customers and suppliers not registered for VAT
Recurring sales invoices
Other payments and receipts
EC Sales List Report
To find out more, visit our Brexit support pages
Add attachments to your sales transactions
Now it's easy to attach supporting information such as sales brochures, product images, price lists etc. to your sales invoices, credit notes, quotes and estimates.
- Add multiple attachments.
- Make attachments visible to your customers or for internal use only.
- Supports the following file types: PDF, GIF, JPG, JPEG, PNG.
- File size up to 2.5MB.
- If you are using the Construction Industry Scheme (CIS):
- Sage Accounting Start no longer displays an error when you enter a valid employer PAYE reference in CIS settings.
- An error no longer occurs when you click Create CIS Return.
- The monthly return no longer gets stuck in Sending status.
- Active bank feeds will now download transactions properly after you successfully sign in for re-authentication.
You can now record sales invoice refunds on VAT reconciled payments.
We’ve made these great improvements to the Trial Balance report:
- As of option. You can now run the report “as of” a specific date to get a snapshot of what your nominal ledger account balances were on that date. The report will show data from the start of each account up to the selected date.
- Zero balance accounts option. The new Hide accounts with zero balances option allows you to hide (or show) zero balance ledger accounts on the report. These accounts have been posted to but have a net balance of zero in the reporting period. By default, the option is selected, which hides them on the report.
Unused ledger accounts are never included on the Trial Balance report.
- Retained Earnings breakdown. If you select Summarise profit and loss values, a Profit and Loss line is included on the report. You can now expand the row to see a breakdown of how the summarised amount was calculated. The report splits out the system calculated Profit and Loss values and manual postings to the Profit and Loss account.
New end to end functionality for CIS (Construction Industry Scheme)
Do you or your clients work in the construction industry and want to easily enter CIS transactions, whilst remaining legislatively compliant?
Now you can record CIS for your contractors.
Reduce wasted time checking details, set up contacts for faster processing, automatically deduct CIS taxes correctly, report accurately and submit to HMRC securely.
- Simplified accounts with automatic CIS calculations and postings — The CIS withheld is calculated on invoices and the withheld tax correctly posted when processing payments.
- Accurate CIS reports — CIS transactions are posted to the accounts and your reports are automatically updated.
- Submit to HMRC — Report on CIS payments and withheld amounts.
- Manage your own CIS ledger accounts — Report in more detail by creating your own CIS labour or materials ledger accounts with the option of setting these as defaults for your contacts or products and services.
- Subcontractor's CIS Suffered report— Produce this report to view the deductions that have been made on your behalf by your contractors.
Adding logos to invoices
We’ve made it even easier to add logos to your sales documents. Now when you upload a logo, it’s automatically checked to make sure the size of the file and the quality of the image are suitable.
If the image isn’t quite right, we'll tell you what needs changing.
Remind customers how they can pay you
Need to let your customers know how they can pay you?
For online invoices where you're not using online payments, you'll now see the following message: Please contact us if you are unsure how to make a payment.
If you are using online payments, we'll add a Make Payment button, to encourage your customers to pay straight away.
Zero value invoices removed from lists
Are invoices with a zero value cluttering up your invoice list?
We've improved how we handle these so they no longer show as Overdue and don't appear on the Overdue and Outstanding tabs of your invoice list.
See when invoices haven't been sent to all recipients
Not sure whether an invoice has been sent to everyone?
Now you can see when an invoice hasn't been sent and when to re-send or check out your email addressees.
The Activity grid now shows an Amber warning when not all email messages were delivered.
Page headers added to longer reports
We know it's hard to read reports that run over several pages, so we’ve improved some reports to show headers on every page:
- Profit and Loss Beta
- Aged Debtors
- Aged Creditors
- Aged Debtors Breakdown
- Aged Creditors Breakdown
- Trial Balance
- Customer statements
Bug fixes and improvements
- To make sure the trial balance report matches what most people expect, we’ve replaced Brought forward values with Opening & Closing Balance.
- You'll now need to set an obligation period before saving an MTD VAT Return.
- As many people have more than one cash account, you can now record bank transfers between two cash accounts.
- When exporting PDF reports, the colour of the text is now set to black.
Recurring sales invoices
Note: Not available in Sage Accounting Start. Learn more
Do you have customers who regularly order the same thing or are sending out the same repeat invoices every month? Do you have services or subscriptions where you send out the same bill each period?
Save time and reduce errors by using Recurring Invoices. These are great for invoicing services that you deliver on a regular schedule and for products that you sell repeatedly.
Find them from the Sales Invoices tab.
- Set up a recurring invoice as a template.
Decide when you want them to recur and when you want them stop.
This could be every day, every other day, weekly, monthly, quarterly etc, or you can keep creating them perpetually.
We'll create the invoices automatically on the day they are scheduled, so you don't have to remember.
- If you choose to send them straight away, we'll email them to your customers at the same time.
Read more about recurring invoices
Bug fixes and improvements
- The Cashflow tab no longer overlaps with the Summary page making to easier to view.
- The part recoverable tax amounts on a ledger account are now included in the Chart of Accounts reports, so you export the amounts and import to a new business if required.
- The part recoverable amounts are now visible on the Chart of Accounts list, so you can make sure your ledger accounts are set up correctly.