The audit trail
The audit trail is a complete record of all transactions entered. As well as details, such as the transaction date, type, category and value, you can also see at a glance when the transactions were entered and who entered them. This is particularly useful if you need to trace a transaction or if you’re asked to produce this as part of an audit.
You can choose to view a summary of the audit trail or a detailed breakdown. The summary shows a high-level view of each transaction, the detailed breakdown shows each line that makes up a transaction, known as the double-entry.
For example, if you enter money in, the summary shows the income details and the net, VAT and total values. The detailed breakdown, however, shows the double-entry values on the categories, such as your income category, bank account and VAT on sales, as debits or credits.
- Go to Reporting, click More.
- In the Detailed Reports section, click Audit Trail.
- To search for a transaction, enter the amount of the transaction or reference in the search box.
- If you want to view the audit trail for a particular date range, from the Period drop-down, choose one of the following options:
|This Month||To produce the report for the current month, use this option.|
|This Quarter||To produce the report for the current quarter, use this option.|
|This Year||To produce the report for the current year, use this option.|
|This Financial Year||This option only appears if you enter your Year End Date in Accounting Dates & VAT.
The report dates default to a 12 month period, based on the day and month you entered for your Year End Date.
Note: This produces the report for the current year regardless of the year set in Financial Settings.
|Last Month||To produce the report for the previous month, use this option.|
|Last Quarter||To produce the report for the previous quarter, use this option.|
|Last Year||To produce the report for the previous year, use this option.|
|Last Financial Year||This option only appears if you enter your Year End Date in Accounting Dates & VAT. The report dates default to a 12 month period, based on the day and month you entered for your Year End Date.
Note: This produces the report for the previous year regardless of the year set in Financial Settings.
|Custom||Enter the report dates you want to run the report from and to.|
- Click More and choose the required options from the Type and Status fields:
- Type – If required, choose the type of transactions you want to view.
- Status – If required you can view exclude deleted transactions, view deleted transactions only, or view all transactions.
- Click Calculate.
- To view details of a specific transaction, click the relevant line. From here you can edit or manage the transaction as required. To return to the report, click back on your browser menu bar.
- To save or print the audit trail click Export and choose a CSV or PDF file format.
- Once the file has downloaded, from the menu bar, choose the relevant report.
Depending on how you chose to export your report, one of the following happens:
- CSV – Depending on your internet browser, the file automatically downloads to your Downloads folder or you’re prompted to save the file, browse to where you want to save the file and click Save.
- PDF – The PDF opens in a new window or tab. Open your browser File menu then choose to print or save the report.
If required, you can configure the audit trail to include the following extra columns:
- VAT Reconciled
- Bank Reconciled
- Created By
To do this, click the Configure columns button.
To include a column, select the check box next to the relevant option.
If you later decide you want to remove these columns, click the configure columns button, clear the check box or click Reset and Save.