How to send pension data to NEST - CSV files
As an alternative you can also produce submission files that contain the necessary information. You can then upload the files to NEST via their online portal.
Once you complete a pay run that includes employee pension contributions, you can generate and download the required files for NEST.
- In the Completed Pay Run summary click Pension submissions, then click View Submission Details. A summary of your employees’ pension details and contributions appears for you to review.
If you’re downloading pension files for the first time, you must enter your Sage login details first.
- Click Manually upload CSV file and save the file.
If you have multiple files, a compressed (zipped) folder. is created. For example, NESTPensionsMth1.zip. This folder contains the downloaded submission files.
- Click Manage Pension File then click Open NEST portal.
- Enter your username and password for your NEST account and click Login
- To upload a member enrolment file, click Manage your workers, then click file upload.
- Click the Browse button and browse to and select the relevant CSV file and click Open.
- Click Upload file. For information about uploading enrolment files, please refer to the NEST website.
- To upload a contribution file, click Manage contributions.
- For the relevant pay period click Edit/Pay, then click Upload file.
- Click the*Browse* button and browse to and select the relevant CSV file and click Open.
- Click Upload file. For information about uploading contribution files, please refer to the NEST website.
Once you upload the files and the data is accepted by NEST, you must confirm the submission status.
- In the Completed Pay Run summary click Pension submissions, then click View Submission Details.
- Click Manage Pension File, then click Confirm CSV upload.
- When asked if the submission uploaded successfully click Yes.
The submission status changes to say you are up to date with your pension submissions.
If an error message appears while you enter information online or upload a file, you can find out how to fix it from the NEST website.
If you make a correction to a completed pay run after you upload submission files to NEST and confirm this, you must download a corrected pension file and upload it. The corrected file contains information for all employees with NEST pension values and reflects the current values, and includes any corrections.
For example, if you need to make corrections to an employee’s pay after you upload the submission file to NEST.
To correct this, you must complete the following steps:
- Edit pay as normal then click View Summary.
- In the Completed Pay Run summary, click Pension submissions, then click View Submission Details.
- Click Manage Pension File, then click Regenerate CSV file.
This creates a new version of the file and includes the corrections. Depending on your Internet browser, the file automatically download to your Downloads folder or you’re prompted to save the file.
- If you’re prompted to save the file, make a note of the file name and browse to where you want to save it, for example, the Windows desktop. Then click Save.
- Manage Pension File and click Open NEST portal.
- Enter your username and password for your NEST account then click Login.
Once you upload the files and NEST accept it, you must confirm the file upload is successful.
- Select Manage Pension File and click Confirm CSV upload.
- When asked if the submission uploaded successfully, click Yes.
If you make a correction and download the submission file, but don’t upload the file to NEST or confirm this, you should download the submission file again.
As you haven’t uploaded to NEST, or confirmed the status for the original submission file, the corrected file contains the amendments to the employee’s pay, as well as the original information for the four other employees.
- Click Pensions, then click Review contributions & record payments.
- Choose the relevant Pension reference period and click View detailed contributions.
- Click the Return to Review Pension Payments page link.
- Check the amount to pay and enter your payment date
- Enter a reference or cheque number and click Record Payment.
If you also subscribe to Accounting, the Record Payment process posts the payment across to reduce your company bank account and pensions liability.
Still need help?