Change your business or company name

Want to update your business name?

  • Request a change of name by emailing us at
  • If you're an Accountant and changing the business name of a client, email us at
  • If you're Ltd company, we can't change your business name, until it's also been updated at Companies House.
  • Just to let you know, it may take us several days to complete your request.
  • Read more to check the implications and make sure you include all the correct information on your email.
  • If you simply want to edit the contact information for your business, such as your phone number, you can do this from Settings, then About your Business.

Do you need to change your business name?

You can only have one business name registered with us.

This should be the company name that's registered with HMRC or, if you're a Ltd company, the name that's registered with Companies House.

Your business name is used:

  • On your subscription and agreement with us.
  • By us when we invoice you.
  • By HMRC, when you submit information such as a VAT return.
  • On the invoices that you send to your customers.

Don't change your business name if

Yes, I want to change my business name

So we know it’s you, please email us from the email address registered as the business owner on your subscription. Need to change the email address? See Change the email address or business owner’s name on a subscription

The information we need you to include on your email will differ depending on your business type.

So we can process requests, please include the information listed below and email to us at

How to use a 'Trading as' name?

You may want a different name to appear on the invoices you send to your customers, if you use a Trading as name, for example.

We can't store more than business name, so we recommend that you use the second line on the address for your trading name.

So if your registered business name is Joe Bloggs Ltd and but your trading name is Joe Bloggs Garden Supplies

  • Set up your subscription as Joe Bloggs Ltd.
  • For your Business name and Trading address
    • From Settings, enter your trading name, Joe Bloggs Garden Supplies, on Address 1.

    • Enter your trading address in the remaining boxes.
    • Go to the Business Type section. Clear the Registered Address: Same as business address box.
    • Enter your registered address.

When you send invoices to your customers, your registered business name and trading as name are included

I'm changing from a sole trader / partnership to a Ltd company

As your business is now a whole new entity, you'll need to Set up a new subscription for your new Ltd company. As you'll have a new VAT reference number and a new PAYE reference number issued by HMRC, you'll need to set up a new account with us, using all your new details. To do this, sign up again from our website.

We recommend that you run your new and old subscriptions side by side, until you old company is dissolved.

Once you're ready to just use the new company, cancel your subscription for your old company.

For Payroll subscriptions

For Payroll you may need to account for a transfer of undertakings (TUPE) and business transfers.

Changing your company status may also affect your company’s Automatic Enrolment staging date. Therefore, before following the steps in this article you should contact The Pensions Regulator

You will also need to close your PAYE scheme with HMRC.