Review the chart of accounts
When you first set up your company in Accounting, we create a set of ledger accounts based on your type of business: Sole trader, limited company or limited liability partnership (LLP).
We use ledger accounts to group your transactions so you can see how your business is performing.
Each ledger account has
All your ledger accounts are shown in the Chart of Accounts list.
Find a ledger account
Go to Settings and Chart of Accounts.
Use the Search box to filter the list by a ledger account by name or number.
Sort the list by
Export the chart of accounts
You can export the list of ledger accounts to an excel spreadsheet.
The export shows the nominal code, ledger name, control account, category, tax rate and its visibility.
- Go to Settings and Chart of Accounts.
- From the New Ledger Account drop-down, select Export Accounts.
- Once the export has finished, you'll see a notification in the reports folder on the top menu.
To save time setting up a new chart of accounts in a new business, consider exporting the existing chart of accounts to a spreadsheet, making the required changes and importing back into Accounting. You can only do this when no transactions have been entered in Accounting.
Import a chart of accounts
Use our CSV file template to import your existing chart of accounts. Useful if you're coming from another system and want to use the same ledger accounts.
You can only do this when no transactions have been entered in Accounting.
Changes the ledger accounts
Create as many new ledger accounts as you need or change existing ones to suit your business.
For example, if you're running a gardening business, you might want to change Product Sales to Gardening Sales.
Print a list of ledger accounts
- From Reporting, choose Chart of Accounts under Advanced Reports.
- By default, the report shows a list of all categories. To view a list of categories for only one type select the Type drop-down list and then select it.
The chart of accounts is a list of all categories used by your business.