Taking card payments with Stripe
Stripe is a secure, online payment service that you can connect to your Accounting (or Accounting Start) account to take card payments on customer invoices. Make it quick and easy for your customers to pay without having to contact you and speed-up your cash flow by connecting to Stripe.
To get started, create a new Stripe account from Accounting. Stripe charges a per transaction fee that you can review before creating your account. The fee is completely transparent and there is no waiting for approval, meaning you can start taking card payments immediately!
If you already have a Stripe account, you must still create a new one for use only with Accounting. Stripe allows you to have multiple accounts under one login. See this Stripe article for more information.
How can customers make card payments?
With Stripe, your customers can make a card payment directly from emailed invoices. After receiving your email, a customer clicks View this invoice to open the invoice in a web page. On the web page, they can click Pay Now to make a secure card payment via Stripe. Customers can also save the invoice in PDF format or print it from the web page. You will receive a notification that the payment has been made. You can also take your customer's card information and apply a payment directly to their invoice.
To apply a card payment (or partial payment) to an invoice:
See this Stripe article for a list of supported cards and currencies.
- Go to Sales and then click Sales Invoices.
- Locate and then click to open the invoice to which you want to apply the payment.
- Click Take Card Payment.
- Verify that the card holder's name and address are correct.
- Enter the card number, expiration date, and CVC code in the Card Details field. To:
- Pay the total amount due, click Charge. The invoice status is updated to Paid.
- Make a partial payment, select Take part payment. Enter the amount of the payment and then click Charge. The invoice status is updated to Part Paid.
After applying the card payment using Stripe, a customer receipt is created in your Stripe account and Stripe will deduct a fee from each payment. Although the invoice will show as Paid (in Full), the net amount deposited to your bank account will be less the Stripe fee.